Tuesday, 12 February 2013

When you ask me...

I wrote this poem a while ago and thought about it today after an encounter with an old friend. I didn't think I had finished it but I did, just never posted it. I'm going to today.


'WHEN YOU ASK ME HOW I AM'

When you ask me how I am,
Do you really want to know?
When you ask me how I'm coping,
Do you really want to know?

Do you want to know I cry myself to sleep at night, can't breath properly from all the pain?
That no matter what I do or say, I feel that it's all in vain.

When you ask me how I am, do you really want to know?
That I may look like all is fine, but I put on a marvellous show.

When you ask me how's my day been?
Do you really want to know?
Do you want to know the pain, the sadness, to what lengths we have to go?

Do you Really want to know?
For if I tell you how I really am will you listen or walk away?
Or stand there wishing you'd never asked, but nod politely anyway.

Ask yourself before you ask me, do you really want to hear?
Do you really want to know the truth? The pain, the suffering and the fear?

I want to tell you, don't get me wrong, I want you to know how I feel, I do.
But do you want to hear it?
Or would you prefer I say,
"I'm fine thanks, how are you?"





1 comment:

  1. Wow Liesl that is such a powerful poem, thank you for sharing that.

    Looking forward to hearing how Jayden goes on Monday at gymbaroo, so wonderful for him.
    X

    ReplyDelete